Field Supervisor – Virden, MB
Caltech is run by professional land surveyors and project managers who are passionate about providing industry-leading service and being one of the best surveying companies to work for. Our company has grown from just 2 people in 1990, to a large and diverse group of over 220 hardworking professionals.
We offer a challenging and rewarding workplace, competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, and many opportunities for growth. For us, work-life balance means working hard and playing hard; our clients and our people are our focus. We use the most current technology and have made professional development a key part of our strategic plan.
As a Field Supervisor, you will manage a field crew and perform field survey work on exciting projects in the construction, pipeline, oil and gas, land development and legal land surveying industries.
Your duties will include:
- Managing and perform field survey work with the help of Survey Assistants
- Liaising with Project Managers and clients to coordinate field survey work, to review and manage project budgets, timeline requirements, priorities and survey methodology;
- Providing guidance, leadership and mentorship to Survey Assistants;
- Acting as a company representative, liaising directly with client field representatives, landowners and other stakeholders;
- Preparing and communicate field notes, sketches, checklists and digital data in required formats for Project Managers, Land Surveyors and Drafting personnel;
- Participating in Caltech Survey Ltd.’s health and safety program
- Other duties are required.
Your working conditions will include:
- Primarily fieldwork; in all weather conditions ranging from -50C to +40C between seasons.
- Frequent long-distance travel (driving), extensive time spent in hotels.
- Lifting, pushing, pulling, walking, standing with items up to 20-50 lbs
- Constant balancing, climbing, and walking on uneven ground and terrain.
- Frequent bending and reaching
- Operate ATV/UTV/Snowmobile
- Frequent use of arm strength to pound in markers/pins/stakes/post.
- Frequent exposure to loud noises
- Constant communication (spoken, written, reading)
- Manual dexterity required to use laptop computer and peripherals, and for manual drawings.
- Overtime as required based on workload.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Postsecondary degree related to surveying and geomatics OR demonstrate an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Willingness to work in the field in all weather conditions.
- Willingness to travel extensively and frequently, when necessary
- Ability to pass drug and alcohol testing as required to access work sites.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dedication to customer service and the ability to motivate, develop, train and coach survey staff.
- Strong commitment to excellence, attention to detail and time management.
- Ability to pass drug and alcohol testing as needed to access work sites
- Maintain current drivers’ license and acceptable driver’s abstract as per company policy
It would also be an asset if you have:
- Experience with the use of ATVs/UTVs, snowmobiles and chainsaws.
- Mechanically inclined
- Experience in line location and legal surveys for the petroleum industry.
- Knowledge and experience using Trimble equipment and software, RTK GPS and line locating.
If you are motivated by success, career growth potential and a great team, we encourage you to apply today! Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and join one of the best surveying companies to work for.
Caltech is committed to establishing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace, particularly for those who have been historically excluded from and underrepresented in the workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including indigenous peoples, persons of color, persons with disabilities, women in under-represented roles, LGBTQ+ persons, and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code.